Monday, March 01, 2010

A.R.T.'s Donkey Show

Saturday I went to the American Repertory Theater's Donkey Show, which "tells the story of A Midsummer Night's Dream through the great 70s anthems." My friend Firth accurately describes it as "just kind of a big party." The show takes place at the Oberon, which has a stage in front of a large open dance floor area. There are raised platforms where audience members can rise to dance with glitter-covered "fairies" before the show. The show happens not just on the stage, but on the catwalk around the club and on the raised platforms as the audience dances to retro disco hits such as "We are Family" and "Ring My Bell" around the performance. After the show (at least, the 10:30 show) the DJ keeps the glitter-covered audience dancing for another hour before they kick everyone out. If you go, I recommend dressing 70's disco! (And I definitely recommend going!)

I posted pictures here.

No comments: