- "I unclogged the drain with a vacuum cleaner," Tom said succinctly.
- "I might as well be dead," Tom croaked.
- "They had to amputate them both at the ankles," Tom said defeatedly.
- "Who discovered radium?" asked Marie curiously.
- "I dropped the toothpaste," signaled Tom, crestfallen.
- "Have I been emasculated?" Tom demanded.
- "Dat's de end of April," said Tom in dismay.
- "Here's someone who can't speak!" exclaimed Tom dumbfoundedly.
- "I'd like chicken soup with matzo balls and gefilte fish," said Tom judiciously.
Saturday, May 02, 2009
My friend Eirik told me about Tom Swifties, which are phrases in which a pun links a quote to the manner in which it is spoken. Some excellent examples: