Friday, July 17, 2009

Dublin in a nutshell

I was in Dublin a couple of weeks ago for PLDI (Programming Language Design and Implementation conference); what I saw of the city was the important landmarks (that you can get in any guidebook) between Trinity College and the Guiness brewery*. These are about a couple of miles apart, so it is a good day's walk to walk around Dublin between those parts. In between you'll pass by a bunch of churches, Grafton Street (the commerical district), some museums**, and some parks. Further out is the jail; I have heard it is cool and has lots of historical value. If I had more time I would have liked to see that.

I also got to experience Dublin pubs, which I discovered close fairly early (11 or 12) on weeknights. Late drinking supposedly occurs mostly in the Temple Bar, a neighborhood of bars.

It was cool to see the Dublin of James Joyce; it was also cool to discover that James Joyce is all over Dublin.

* This is actually a cool place; at the top you get a good view of the city, labelled (on the windows) with quotes from Joyce relevant to the landmarks (and generally relevant). The Guiness in Dublin is supposedly the best you'll ever have; I'd believe it.

** You see more museums if you take a somewhat meandering route that involves some looping.

5 comments:

harisaslam said...

Spontaneously updated like we have a discount offer in fumigation service for the new customers. This will benefit our customers and I know we are the best service provider and our customer is satisfied with service and that's the main goal.

elvina roy said...

it is very amazing article help for information five dollar mealz

seoexpert said...

Hii
Nice Blog
Guys you can visit here to know about
youtube video promotion service india

Edvin Berg said...

"This blog has become my source of inspiration and creativity. The author's passion for their craft is contagious, and I often find myself inspired to pursue my own creative endeavors after reading their posts. Thank you for igniting my creativity!"
who became one of the richest men in hungary thanks to a toy he developed.

Jennifer Walsh said...

Informative blog! Dublin in a nutshell provides a comprehensive overview of this vibrant city. As you plan your visit, don't forget to keep an eye out for scheels cyber Monday deals, where you can find travel essentials and outdoor gear to enhance your Dublin experience. Thanks for sharing this insightful guide.